Third-party commercial operations
The university has established a designated protocol for commercial and third-party operations on Virginia Tech property. Note that this protocol is supplemental to the protocols for specific flight areas; for example, a commercial operator seeking to fly on the Blacksburg campus would need to follow both the commercial-operator protocol and the Blacksburg campus protocol.
The requirements of the protocol include
- Part 107 FAA Remote Pilot Certificate or other applicable FAA authorization.
- Approval for each flight or mission from the UAS Oversight Commitee; apply online.
- A designated university escort will be assigned to facilitate the plan and monitor the safety of the operation.
A Certificate of Insurance (COI) meeting the following requirements must be attached to the online application:
- Minimum general liability coverage (commercial general liability) amount of $1M per occurrence for Small UAS
- Must name the following as additional insured and certificate holders:
Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
North End Center, Suite 3300
300 Turner Street NW (MC 0310)
Blacksburg, VA 24061
Commonwealth of Virginia
c/o Risk Management
101 N. 14th St. 14th Floor
Richmond VA 23219
Questions? Contact the UAS Safety Office.