Drone lending program
Small unmanned aircraft systems, or drones, can enhance projects across a wide variety of disciplines and applications — but they can also be very expensive. To solve that problem, and make drones available to a broader range of students, University Libraries and the Virginia Tech Drone Park are offering drones for checkout to students, faculty, and staff through Connect2.
The following equipment, with their manuals and gear, are available for a 5-day checkout (or longer, with special permission):
- DJI Phantom 2 Vision+
- DJI Mavic 2 Pro
- DJI Mavic 2 Zoom
- DJI Spark
- Ryze Tello
- Hover Camera Drone
- DJI FPV Goggles RE
The following conditions must be met in order to checkout drone equipment from University Libraries:
- The drone will be used for educational, research, or University-sponsored activities only.
- A written endorsement documenting the nature of the activity from a professor or responsible staff.
- Part 107 Remote Pilot Certificate (RPC), unless under the direct supervision of a certificated Remote Pilot-In-Command (RPIC) who has access to the controls during flight operations.
- Virginia Tech UAS Pilot Safety Training; contact email@example.com to schedule.
- Familiarization training on the particular drone being loaned.
*Conditions 1 through 4 may be waived if the drone will be used exclusively inside the Virginia Tech Drone Park.
Contact the Virginia Tech Drone Park, (540) 231-7303, or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.